Hit the ball farther, straighter and more accurately with less chance of injury…
Pilates for golf will reduce chances of injury while helping to improve your game. Whether twisting the body on a drive, squatting down to measure a putt or leaning over to pick up a ball, golfers constantly torquing their bodies. Golf also requires repeating the same essential movements. As a result some muscles become overused and others weaken, causing an imbalance.
For a golfer, muscle imbalances can affect the legs, hips, arms, shoulders, and the lower back. It can also affect your game, particularly for those over the age of 50. Your drives may be shorter and less accurate, your stamina may decrease, and the potential for debilitating strains, pulls and tears becomes much higher.
Why Pilates For Golf?
Pilates is based on movement from the center of the body, as are most shots in golf. It strengthens the center of the body, also known as the core (the trunk, shoulder girdles and pelvis). Core strength can improve hip rotation, range of motion in the shoulders and back stability leading to more powerful and accurate golf shots. It is also a full body exercise that works all muscles and is easy on the joints. The end result is a flexible, symmetrically muscled body that is strengthened from the inside out.
- Build up the back muscles evenly
- Elongate and align the spine for better stability
- Strengthen the abdominals
- Increase overall flexibility, strength, and balance
- Increase range of motion in hips and shoulders
- Enhance concentration through focused breathing
Developed by Ron Jegadeesh with input from leading golfers, Pilates For Golf builds strength and flexibility simultaneously, develops core strength, improves posture and alignment, and creates stability. All the elements needed for a great swing!
- Attain an optimal back swing and follow-through with increased range of motion in shoulders
- Get more distance and power because of added hip and torso flexibility
- Have a stronger and bigger hip turn for greater power through rotation
- Create a smoother and more powerful swing due to evenly conditioned back muscles
- Maximize balance and alignment while rotating
- Decrease fatigue because of less strain on the body
- Hold a body position long enough to play through a shot
- Play without pain!
While some of the exercises and stretches may look familiar, it is an understanding of the underlying Pilates techniques that make them so powerful. Interestingly enough, once the Pilates Fitness techniques can be executed without thinking about them, the body will start to move in the Pilates way on its own! While traditional Pilates work will of course improve your golf game, the Pilates Fitness Evolution program is designed specifically to improve the biomechanics needed for improved athletic performance.
Pilates For The Pros
Many golfers – from weekend warriors to the game’s elite like Tiger Woods and Annika Sorenstam – are now turning to Pilates as an essential training tool that keeps the body in balance and actually improves performance.